Sunday 8 September 2013

Mission accomplished!

Hello Lovely Folks how are you all doing?  Here's hoping you are all fine and well, enjoying your Sunday wherever you are in the world.  It is so lovely to see you all again, do come in and make yourself comfy while I pop the kettle on.  It is quite breezy with a chill in the air this morning and is starting to feel as if the chills of autumn are coming soon.  I must admit though I do love the autumn period as I suffer in the heat as you all known.  I would have loved to have gone for a long walk on the beach today if I had time but, sadly, there is work to be done here.  However, I did get up very early to make sure I finished the birthday cushion as I was fretting about not having time.
 
I have been searching in my cupboards for bits of fabric for the cushion and found loads of smallish pieces which weren't large enough for big projects but could be used for little gifts.  My gorgeous little granddaughters just love colouring as most young girls do so I had a thought about a pencil case for them.  I was up early yesterday morning so quickly measured up some fabric and pencils and came up with this little case.  It is not perfect but I hope she will like it - have another one cut out and ready to sew when I get some time today or tomorrow night. Hope you like it Folks - it is amazing the effect which blogging has had on my motivation to get things done, I wonder if you are there all find the same?  Wouldn't it be great to be able to bottle up this energy and allow others to share in it with us?  Wonder what you all think - would love to hear from you.
 
 
I just love the beach hut fabric - have some with the Volkswagens on too which is so adorable.
 
 
Now then a little update on my Sophie Tilley dolly.  I am so excited about her Folks it is quite unbelievable - two bloggers got in touch to say that they had ordered one each too.  I hope Sophie can keep up with the rush.  My lovely husband has sketched out the face for me and we now have all the colours we need so it won't be long before I am making her dress for her and she will be ready. I haven't thought of a name for her yet as I need to see what type of personality she has once she has come to life.  We are going to buy more for our lovely granddaughters as special gifts too.  I am hoping you will help me out with the name for my lovely dolly once she is finished - hopefully this week so watch this space Folks.
 
 
Now Everyone, back to the job in hand - the cushion.  I had found other fabrics which I thought I would use for the central panel.  I did take all your advice into account and didn't try to use the whole tea towel as it just wouldn't fit.  Below is the heart shape which I used and I decided to fit in the year, month, calendar and her name within this.  I cut out some flower shapes from the tea towel on the far right hand corner and then other shapes from the main fabric and from another piece of orange which I found hiding in the back of the cupboard.  I hope you think it looks ok?  I was having to move along with this because, as usual, I had left myself short of time.  My Husband always says I will be late for my own funeral as I try to do too much.
 
 
This the finished back - I used the silky brown fabric for the ties and inner sections which I had used for the bag but had found a brown cotton which I used for the heart shape.  I was worried about the silky material fraying which was happening as I was cutting it so I thought cotton would be a safer option.  As always I used the lovely Lilly Blossom pattern which serves me so well, I just love using it.  Lilly Blossom has opened the doors for me with regards cushions as previously I would never have attempted anything like this.  I love this style as it is classy and easy to sew up.  Thank you Lilly Blossom!
 
 
This is the finished gifts for her.  I do hope she likes them although I am always a little unsure when I give handmade gifts as they may not be to everyone's taste - we are all different.  Fingers crossed she is pleased.
 
 
A final photograph of the cushion, would love your comments, am always pleased for suggestions of how my sewing can be improved.  I am very conscious that in Blogland there are so many talented people and I have learned so much in the short time I have been part of the community.
 
 
Well Folks that is it for today and it is back to the old grindstone of work.  I do hope you all have a wonderful day or evening this Sunday depending on where you are in the world.  May you enjoy happiness, relaxation and peace each and every one of you.  I do hope you will come back and if you can do leave a comment as it is so lovely to hear from you all.  Lots of love to you as always, Dorothy :-)xxxxxxxxxxxxx 
 
 
 

14 comments:

  1. Such a cute little case and convenient, too. I wonder if my 12 year old would still enjoy one.

    It is so odd to me to think that it's about 4:30 p.m. your time and only about 10:30 a.m. my time here in Missouri, USA.

    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have come up trumps with this combinations my dear.
    I am sure your D in L will love both pieces.
    The pencil case will be a lovely little prezzie for your Granddaughter.
    Back to cooking the Sunday roast.
    Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I've just discovered your lovely blog and I am so inspired and delighted with it. We have a lot in common. I love to sew, but also love journaling, paper crafts and all things artsy. Your pencil case is so charming; I know that your granddaughter is going to love it. Also, your bags and pillows at so lovely, you have a marvelous talent. I know what you mean about having a blog and it's powers to motivate you. I have actually made more time for having fun with artsy projects since I've begun blogging, than I have in many years. I love to blog and to make new friends. I do hope that you are the kind of blogger that likes making new friends, too, and that you will follow me back.
    Have a lovely week.
    Your newest blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Connie am just popping over to see your blog - thank you from one blogging sister to another, have a great week.
      Lots of love
      Dorothy
      :-)xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

      Delete
  4. The beach hut fabric is gorgeous, I love your cushion, what a wonderful, personal gift.
    Thank you so much for your lovely comments on my blog, I'm so glad you've enjoyed looking through it and I'm very honored you've added me to your favourite list. Have a good week. Deb x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb thank you so much, love your work though and will be learning a lot from you. Have a great week
      Lots of love
      Dorothy
      :-)xxxxxxxxxxxx

      Delete
  5. The bag and cushion are gorgeous...love the toadstools and I wish you were my granny...perhaps not, as you would have to be 100. Eco Ethel xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I feel quite near that age group Ethel, but not when I am blogging and talking with lovely people like you. Thanks for popping over, love your blog and will be visiting on a very regular basis. Have a great week
      Lots of love
      Dorothy
      :-)xxxxxxxxxxxxx

      Delete
  6. Well Done you. I knew you could do it. They both look totally brilliant. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah thanks Jo, that means a lot to me. Have a wonderful week
      Lots of love as always
      Dorothy
      :-)xxxxxxxxx

      Delete
  7. You've come out trumps with every project Dorothy - well done - I'm sure your grandie will love the sweet pencil case and your friend her beautiful birthday gifts!
    Joy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the pencil case and am sure your grandaughter will too. Fab material. I've just started blogging too and like you find it inspires me to work more. Hope you will take a look at it and maybe we could be friends !
    Jacqui (aka livingwithethel) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done dorothy, you did so well to finish the cushion (which looks great), but also to throw in another project. I honestly don't know how you do it! Your little pencil scroll is so lovely, my children have some and they love them, so I am sure yours will be loved. Wishing you a happy week and enjoy your courses this week, I take it is all going to be very busy for you from now on. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. The pencil case is lovely! And the cushion...well done! It looks really great. Have a great week.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete