Sunday 4 January 2015

First post of 2015

Well Happy New Year to all you Lovelies out there in Blogland.  It has been a long time since I visited you all and boy have I missed each and every one of you.  I must admit that I was glad to see the end of 2014 as it was certainly not my best year but I am hopeful that 2015 will be much brighter and happier for everyone.  I do hope every one of you will have the most fantastic year ahead with lots of love and laughter every day. 
 
My old computer is just about creaking, just like me and I have been having some problems with it, hence the delay in getting a post to you all.  One of my many resolutions this year is to try and get a grip on my photographs which are not the best, although the light has been dismal here over the past few days.  In December I did a stint at Blists Hill as Mother Christmas.  Here I am sitting in Santa's chair - he did took the photograph for me.  My role was to look after all the excited children and shepherd them in once Santa was free.  It was such a busy day and so delightful to see all their excited faces.  There is something so magical about Christmas when children really believe.  I heard lots of magical stories plus scores of lists so I hope each and every one of those children had the most fantastic time.  It was a bitterly cold day which added to the atmosphere and I was glad of my cape and long skirt.  It was such an enjoyable experience and one I would love to be part of next year.

 
 
The lead up to Christmas was so busy as I had set myself a challenge to make as many gifts as possible, a task which got the better of me in the end.  My husband was sorting out his wardrobe and was going to give this coat away.  He was hesitating as it was quite old and, because I loved the coat, I asked if I could have it.  The coat holds memories for me as my husband asked me out for our first coffee when he was wearing it!  I set out trying to cut some shapes as I had a vague idea of making myself a little bag out of it.  It looks in a sorry state below doesn't it!
  
 
Below is the finished product - not the straightest cut or the most elegant bag but I must admit - I love it!  The fabric doesn't photograph very well and I guess that it is the striped pattern.   I tried to keep the pockets intact and put the labels (Marks and Spencer) on the front.  The inside fabric is a piece I bought ages ago and I felt that it looked similar to a man's shirt.
 
 
This is the other side of the bag with the second pocket - both of these will prove to be pretty handy for storing little girly things............. 
 
 
As you can see I have not quite finished the bag yet as I need to pretty it up a bit more.  I want to put the buttons back down the side - they are very nice black ones and go well with the herringbone design.  I might also add a few more embellishments as you probably remember.
 

 
 
 Nearly ready to go...............
 
 
Well Lovelies I was in such a spin trying to get everything finished for Christmas so didn't take many photographs of my makes.  I made 14 make up bags for my friends plus extras for the grandchildren.  I also found some Liverpool FC and Manchester United curtains on Ebay which enabled me to make three cushions and three 'men' bags for certain young people in our family.  The curtains were certainly good value as I still have enough to make three small cuddly lap quilts for the boys.   Not a very good photograph I am sorry to say.
 
   



 
For another young lady One Direction was the name of the game and she was delighted with this makeup bag.  Needless to say she now wants some pyjamas for her teddy! 
 
I did have a go at a Christmas wreath which was so easy to do and so enjoyable.  I did a short course in Chester to make this and the small lap quilt on the next photograph.  I was really pleased with the quilt as I really want to make one this year - a lovely friend of mine is having a new little girl and I badly want to make a lovely cot quilt for her when she arrives in May.


The cushions and the quilt made the corner quite a cosy Christmas corner - the children loved sitting there and sipping their drinks and mince pies.  Scrumptious.
 


Here is the quilt in it's raw state - I loved working with the Christmas fabric and it came together so quickly - however this must be the easiest pattern to do.  I do admire quilters as they are such talented and precise people and hopefully, this year, I might attempt a reasonable one myself.


Below is one of the bags I made for my friends.  I just adore Sunbonnet Sue although some of my friends said that it is Holly Hobby.  She is just so easy to make and, although time consuming, I am always delighted with the results.  My friends were so appreciative.

 
 
This is the other side of the bag which is one of my favourite layouts - mushroom houses and trees - I guess I am still a little girl at heart!




I hope you all had some lovely gifts - I know that I did and below is one of them.  A gorgeous breakfast/tea set which has pictures from the old Kellogs cereal boxes which I remember from my childhood.  Sadly, before this photograph was taken, there were two lovely cakes but I had just eaten one - hence the reason I am on a strict diet now!

 
 
Well my lovely friends I cannot tell you how happy I am to be back here with you.  My goal this year is to try and write as many posts as I can but, more importantly, to keep up to date with all your wonderful news.  This was brought home to me last week when I heard about the untimely death of a really lovely lady - Vanessa Cabban.  When I first started reading blogs I found her wonderful blog - Do you mind if I knit and was really captured by her warmth, talent and energy.  I was a regular reader and learned so much from her.  I would have loved to have met her but did feel that I knew her through her blog.  This really captured my spirit and I began to find other fabulous blogs like yours and was hooked.  The people I found opened a new world to me which is why I couldn't stay away.  I will never forget Vanessa even though I never actually met her - such is the power of this wonderful community.  Rest in peace lovely Vanessa, you will never be forgotten.
 
I hope that you all have a wonderful day/evening tomorrow.  Be happy and safe.  I am sending you all my love and thanks for waiting for me.  God Bless.  Much love to you all..............Dorothyxxxxxx.
 
 
 
 

12 comments:

  1. I love the bag! Is that for you to take with you when you do your volunteering I hope that you do keep some of your beautiful bags for yourself. You look fantastic all wrapped up warm in your costume! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy new year Dorothy! It's lovely to have you back in blogland. Love the bag you made, it's beautiful.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what fabulous makes! Welcome back and happy new year, lovely... hope it's filled with all things wonderful for you & yours.
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Dorothy and so lovely to see you back here. I had thought about you and missed your posts. You were incredibly busy making so many absolutely gorgeous gifts for friends and family! Your bag is fantastic-what a lovely way to keep those cherished memories of when you first saw the coat!
    Like you I have not posted as much as I would like or kept up with everyone as much as I want to, sometimes life takes over, but it is wonderful to come back here and revisit friends. You made a wonderful Mother Christmas-what a fabulous atmosphere it must have been! Take care Dorothy,
    Love Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Dorothy, I miss your blog. I hope all is well and I hope you will be back with us soon. Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dorothy,
    I was thinking of you the other day and couldn't find you. Just found your blog. I miss you! God lead me back to you. I'm going to pray for you right now.

    Father God, please get this message to Dorothy.

    God please bring health and healing to Dorothy and her husband. Bring light, peace, hope, provision, and a closeness to you. Help her God. I as in the Name of Jesus by the power of the blood of Jesus. Amen.

    Dorothy, please contact me. lauraofharvestlane@gmail.com
    http://harvestlanecottage.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hai Min Jangan lupa kunjungi Danau toba karena disana banyak wisata alam yang dapat menghilangkan penat dan lelah, Tunggu apa lagi? ayo liburan ke Danau toba.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, my name is Misa. I appreciate your post is nice. Btw, I will share 3 articel about my trip in Indonesia from my blogfor you.

    - Transit 19 Jam di Malaysia, Ngapain Aja
    - Seharian Jadi Anak Pantai
    - Berburu Bintang Bersama HAAJ

    Hope you like. Regrads Misa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Use your cell phone to make outgoing calls Toll Free Numbers to customers or participate in conferences but display your work number to maintain the professionalism of the call while #WFH
    That's just one of many use-cases of a VoIP CRM integration

    ReplyDelete